Subject: Re: Berlin - Former Seeburg enclave near Tiefwerder - maps etc.
Date: Nov 13, 2002 @ 11:37
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Wolfgang Pietsch <wpi@b...> wrote:
>

> > We had this before, Berlin not only had exclaves, there was 1
enclave
> > belonging to the community of Seeburg in Pichelsdorf /
Tiefwerder ,
> > district of Spandau. See messages ...
> > ... and following for first discussion.
>

> Wolfgang,
> This is interesting material. With respect to "Berlin not only had
> exclaves, there was 1 enclave",

I'm not convinced that's correct. There were definitely DDR enclaves
in the Eiskeller region, exchanged in 1972.

> what do you consider the status of the
> Soviet memorial was during the occupation - part of the Soviet Zone
> enclaved in the western zones, or a piece of the western zones over
> which the soviets merely exercized sovereignty without possessing
> territorial sovereignty?

Neither. The Soviet memorial was part of Tiergarten borough, British
sector. The Soviet guards were there in the framework of their right
to access all sectors, just like Western military had the right to
patrol the Soviet sector in uniform. The memorial was actually
guarded by British MP.

> What is it's status now - I noticed that the
> russian guards are gone.

The memorial is in good shape, but now accessible for tourists. The
Soviet guards are of course gone, since the closest Russian military
is now 2000 km away.

Regards