Subject: Guantanamo, was: UN sets deadline for Cyprus deal
Date: Nov 12, 2002 @ 22:14
Author: anton_zeilinger ("anton_zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Hi,

> Leased sovereignty is very tenuous, as we now see in the case of the
> Czech Republic's leased exclave in the German harbor at Hamburg, and
> as we may yet see in the case of Guantanamo.

Now that you bring it up, isn't the Guantanamo lease running out in
2002? What is going to happen? I don't believe Cuba has agreed to
renewing the agreement, or has it?

Castro would probably bring this before the International Court of
Justice and would most probably win, because, well, the agreed-on
time has run out! But then what? The U.S. won't give its base up -
"Who cares about international law if it's not in our favour!" ...
no, that's sarcasm, sorry ;-) - and Castro wouldn't be so stupid to
enter forcefully. After that it would simply be illegally occupied
Cuban territory, right?

Can anyone shed a light on all these questions?

Thanks a lot,

AntonZ