Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] UN sets deadline for Cyprus deal
Date: Nov 12, 2002 @ 13:20
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Anton,

>So, probably there would not be a problem with Cyprus. Especially,
>since the other party of the independence treaty presumably is the
>UK, am I right

I believe the signatories to the treaty were the UK, Greece, Turkey and the
Republic of Cyprus. I don't think Greece would object, but Turkey may well
do ;-)

I'm not sure whether the UK agrees with the concept of Greek Cyprus
unilaterally entering the EU. Whilst the UK and Greek Cypriot governments
seem to have a good relationship, the UK government's position has always
been that (recognised) government of Cyprus must be inclusive. However,
it's quite possible consent would be given in the usual rounds of horse
trading that accompanies anything in the EU.

Cheers,

Kevin Meynell