Subject: Re: VTNYQC - been done?
Date: Nov 11, 2002 @ 21:28
Author: Meridien24 ("Meridien24" <meridien24@...>)

TopoZone seems to have the border misplaced!... Ft Montgomery isn't
even there! Weird. Maptech's server must be down, I keep getting
404's... I'll use TerraServer for today.

One of the television directors here is a lifelong resident of NY's
North Country - he tells me that Ft. Montgomery was bought by the
president of a nearby pharmaceutical plant to turn into his personal
Xanadu. The access road to the Fort, he tells me, is barred and
posted. Nevertheless.

And to correct myself -- of course, Ft Montgomery IS on land
(...duh), it just happens to be separated by a moat - which, I'm
told, has progressively filled back up to the point that the Fort is
only an "island" at high tide. But the Fort may not be the best
vantage point anyway, as you pointed out.

Alburg's "Line Road" - which straddles the border for several miles -
makes it all the way to marker 644, thus might be the best way to
approach this, since the only dry option in NY would be to sneak into
the Fort. Betcha anything I'll earn another run-in with the border
patrol, though.

While I'm there, I'll make a side trip to another interesting border-
area military ruin... the abandoned nuclear Atlas missile site
located 600 meters from the border in Champlain. Went there a while
ago, but sans camera. It obviously hasn't been touched since the mid-
60's. (This area is even richer than I thought with border-
straddling roads, abandoned & unguarded border crossings, etc!)

As far as the frozen option -- you'll notice on the tripoint map that
most of the link across the river is a sandbar, not a bridge, and the
sandbar is usually reliable in freezing a good chunk strong enough
for pick-up trucks. The boat drop on the sandbar is used by US
border enforcement agencies but is open for anyone to use - I should
at least get closer. We'll see in February.

TerraServer Topo/Sat. images of tripoint area:
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?
t=2&s=12&x=788&y=6230&z=18&w=2

TerraServer Topo/Sat. images of Atlas missile "auxiliary" site
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?
t=1&s=12&x=775&y=6230&z=18&w=2

--Jay Di Battista
Plattsburgh, NY