Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] US Border Controls and Canada -- an editorial
Date: Nov 05, 2002 @ 09:31
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Doug,

>It's such a weird issue... on one side, the border defines two sovereign
>nations -- who must look out for themselves and protect their citizens.

I allow myself a wry smile when I hear this argument. As you may be aware,
the UK refused to join the Schengen Area citing the same reasons, yet any
regular traveller knows you can fly into certain regional airports after
the passport and customs people have gone home. Even at London Heathrow,
it's rare to find any customs officers in attendance after about 8.00 PM.

I know the UK authorities will argue that they have limited resources and
prefer to target high-risk flights, but that only validates my point even
more. They clearly don't consider flights from other EU/EEA countries to be
a high risk, so why keep up the pretence that border controls are necessary
to protect the nation? They serve only to inconvenience the vast majority
of legitimate travellers.

Incidentally, I wonder how many people would tolerate border controls
between the US states or Canadian provinces ;-)

Regards,

Kevin Meynell