Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: US Border Controls and Canada -- an editorial
Date: Nov 05, 2002 @ 07:03
Author: Doug Murray ("Doug Murray" <doug@...>)

It's such a weird issue...  on one side, the border defines two sovereign nations -- who must look out for themselves and protect their citizens.  On the other side, the similarities between Canada and the US are probably unlike any other neighbours.  But we are 2 different countries, and I guess we should act like it.

When I go to the US, I don't feel like a foreigner -- the language, food, entertainment, cars, people, etc. are all the same.  And I know I'm not a Finn. (inside joke) But I am a foreigner.  And, I reckon, I should be treated like all other aliens entering a sovereign nation.  Of course, I say that as a white, English speaking male.  I'm sure if I were racially profiled and fingerprinted every time I crossed the border, I would make fewer trips to Seattle for baseball and Krispy Kremes.

I still think things were better back in the days of the cold war.  *grin*

Doug