Subject: Re: Northwest Angle of Minnesota
Date: Nov 04, 2002 @ 11:24
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Arif

> First of all, Mike mentioned this at one time, but it
> seems to have never came up, but the Southeast portion
> of Alaska in the panhandle is actually separated by
> rest of Alaska by Tarr Inlet and so it should count in
> the same category as Nortwest Angle or Point Roberts.
> The main city is Hyder, so I like to call this tongue
> Hyder. I apologize to Mike if I ever accidentally
> disparaged this discovery of his.

hahaha
of course no apology needed my friend
& you are right about tarr inlet
as you can see here in this usgs map
made just before the glacier end finally receded into canada
thus breaking the panhandle cleanly into two
& giving canada a new outlet to the sea
theoretically anyway
since a calving glacier end is no place for a seaport
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=59.05&lon=-137.1&syms
how=n

& you may also be right about hyder being separated too
tho i cant confirm that

but anyway i think you have confused 2 things here
since hyder is on the portland canal way down southeast
very near ake
& tarr inlet is way up in the glacier bay area northwest of juneau

but the result could well be 2 breaks rather than only 1 break
in the continental continuity of the akbc line
so your point or points are doubly well taken

> Secondly, as far as I know, the upper peninsula was a
> consolation prize for not getting Toledo from Ohio.

partly true
in fact michigan & ohio almost fought a war over toledo in 1836
but then michigan agreed to the loss not only of the toledo strip
but also the loss of all of what later became wisconsin
in the process of gaining its own statehood in 1837
within its present boundaries

but the entire upper peninsula had evidently been part of
michigan territory since 1818
per bus&ss