Subject: Re: Helgoland and Neuwerk
Date: Nov 02, 2002 @ 14:59
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "anton_zeilinger"

> I don't know if this has been discussed before, but there are
two
> interesting islands off the coast of Germany.

neuwerk has been a hot topic here
since raised by arif in 1090
& crescendoing to your question in 3313 3318 3319 3322 3327
but especially 3339 & 3340 by peter & harry
& still shaking thru the early 5000s

not discussed before tho in the case of helgoland
which makes a fascinating continuation of neuwerk
so thanx & congrats for starters
& more comments below

What is interesting is
> which territories they belong to.
>
> The first is Helgoland ( www.helgoland.de ), which was almost
totally
> razed by the British in WWII. It is part of the German
Bundesland
> (i.e. state) Schleswig-Holstein, not surprisingly, since this
seems
> to be the closest mainland. But what is really interesting is the
> Kreis (= county), to which Helgoland belongs, as it is not the
one on
> the coast closest to the island, but an inland Kreis, to the
south,
> bordering on Hamburg. Its name is Pinneberg ( www.kreis-
> pinneberg.de ). So Helgoland is something like a third-level
pene-
> exclave, right? Or is it a "real" exclave?

a real tertiary clave judging from your description
& in the case of claves tho not of multipoints we have been
reserving the idea of the third order or third degree if not also the
third level etc for a cosmically unique international bengali triple
backflip clave also originally brought by arif

I did not find any
> explanation for this unusual constellation on the official
homepages,
> does anyone know the reason?

probably just because this sort of thing flies below most peoples
radar screens

> The second interesting island (or rather group of islands) is
Neuwerk
> ( http://www.hamburg.de/StadtPol/stats/neuwerk/welcome.htm
), which,
> of course, is part of the Bundesland Hamburg, although it can
only be
> reached by crossing either Schleswig-Holstein or
Niedersachsen. Also
> funny is that it is part of the Hamburg Bezirk (=district?) Mitte,
> i.e. the city center.

hamburg probably annexed neuwerk at the time it was planning
to make it into its seaport
but that plan never came to anything

& the pinneberg helgoland connection smacks of the same sort
of thing & might even have been created at the same time for the
same purpose

> I found a map where all this can be seen quite nicely, go to

http://www.staedteverlag.de/php/index.php4?plz=k25421&view=s
tadt

> and click on "Kreiskarte".
>
> You'll see Hamburg in the center, next to it Kreis Pinneberg
and to
> the left Neuwerk and Helgoland.
>
> Does anyone else know about islands belonging to
landlocked
> administrative areas?

wonderfully exotic category & great question
but i bet you have found the only 2 examples in the world