Subject: Re: re azcanv
Date: Oct 30, 2002 @ 23:30
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "m donner" <maxivan82@h...>

> the monument you found i think may mark an old rendition of
> the canv line
> & i found it to be a little off line
> when compared with the definitive pair of low slab markers
> one of which can be seen in the foreground of the attached pic
> just across the road from your taller marker
> & i trust its mate can also still be found where i found it
> in the corresponding location in arizona above the left bank
>
> but the offset seemed to me so small that i dont think it couldve
affected
> your class b claim very much
> even if you were basing it on that marker
> while my hunch is you were just pinning the gps to the topo
position anyway

but a bigger problem with any class b claim to azcanv
even assuming one could gauge the exact centerline of the river
is that the 1960 azca compact defining the tripoint position
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/gov/175-176.html
blunders by placing it at the intersection of this centerline
with not just 1 but 2 other lines
namely
b o t h
the oblique canv line
a n d
the 35th parallel of north latitude

naturally no such triple conjunction actually occurs
not at any single asteriskoid intersection point anyway
but rather the conjunction must describe a very small triangle
with dimensions unknown

however
of the 3 lines mentioned
it seems most conservative to prefer the river centerline first
since that is traditional & repeated elsewhere in the compact
& then to prefer the oblique line second
since it is demarcated by those 2 low slabs
whereas the reference to the latitudinal line seems so gratuitous
& most expendable
& i think most careful people would agree with that evaluation

but in any case we are looking at very tiny differences here
which shouldnt adversely affect anyones class b claims
yet do leave the exact geoposition of azcanv in some question

by contrast a far more extreme uncertainty occurs at ilinmi
involving hundreds of feet of difference in geoposition
but which i also like to think i bagged class b

but that is a much longer story too