Subject: Re: AZNVUT Details
Date: Oct 30, 2002 @ 00:00
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "bjbutlerus" <bjbutler@b...> got pricked
by a bush.
but aside from some moderate anxiety at the prospect
> of dying in the desert without having visited the tri-point, the
> injury was minor.

i agree
it is much easier to accept any mishaps after making ones point
than before

my own first try at aznvut was also made from mesquite
but solo
& without benefit of 4wd real or imaginary
also without cellphone
without gps or other navigational tools
without topozone etc nor anything really but a mental map
as recalled from a nevada road atlas i had once seen
& this was before jacks book too
so i imagined i was the first one crazy enough to try this point
& it was in the heat of summer to boot
& the starter in my truck had been acting funny
etc etc
but miraculously
i did manage to pick my way across 26 miles of that desolation
til the jeep track just petered out not far nw of the tripoint
& actually within an easy walk of it
as can readily be seen at topozone today
by just ordering up terry benches

by that point any car failure would have necessitated a forced
night march out of there & back to western civ
but i dared to cut the engine anyway
because i couldnt spare much gas
& left the truck on foot very late in the afternoon
heading off to the southeast in search of the monument
as anticipated only from a reading of p160 in bus&ss
& with only a very general idea of where it might be hiding

& of course i soon got exhausted
& night fell fast
& i couldnt find either the monument or my truck in the dark
but had to catnap with the sidewinders & scorpions til moonrise
sometime after midnight
when i was finally able to figure out
thanx to an ingeniously deductive but roundabout approach
exactly how to reach the truck
& the temporary rescue & comfort it provided

the fact that the starter worked only with difficulty in the morning
was enough reason for me to break off the try forthwith & hightail
it directly out of the desert to safety at that point

the starter did finally fail later in the day
but by then i had reached much easier conditions for repair

some months afterward
while trying idnvut
i chanced to meet a man who had preceded me to aznvut
& he showed me a picture of himself & his wife at the marker

so nothing had been lost there but my delusion of originality
& i did eventually return to finally bag aznvut some years later
in fact just hours before that puddle pic was taken

but by then i couldnt have cared less about a mishap
& 7 miles in the midday sun seemed like a short walk
& the towing fee a small surcharge