Subject: was Crossing Cyprus UN buffer zone & now tripointing details
Date: Oct 20, 2002 @ 13:51
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:

> i have a lot more to contribute about your site rolf
> & will follow with another message of tripointing details later

so i also took this opportunity to review your entire tripointing files
with a fine toothed comb
& to ferry back & forth not only to jespers via the handy links you
provided
but also to harrys & peters excellent collections
so as to get as immersed as possible into the nitty gritty of all 19
european tries

& perhaps there are other troves of other members of these
safaris that i have missed

& indeed having tried all this
i wish there were a single site where all the best photos & data
for each tripoint were assembled for easiest reference

but anyway here are some new observations
& questions for anyone who can answer them
based on all the above data
arranged point by point

atczsk
this tripoint sign with schematic diagram is wonderful
& a first such to be reported i believe

& absent any photos of the witness monuments indicated on it
which if found would presumably have been photographed
this raises the question
did you all go far enough downstream for a true class c visit
or are you all really just photographing this one in the dark
certainly at the confluence ok
but if without benefit of the boundary alignment shown
then possibly still somewhat above the true thalweg junction
as indicated by the likely intervisible monuments on the 2 banks

maybe a dumb question but it has to be asked
if we are being as punctilious as possible

athusk
is this monument leaning a little
as seems likely from the pix
for that might affect the true tripoint position by a few cm

also what is the strange object atop the monument
if not just some random possession someone has rested there

& does something on this object
or any mark on top of the monument
indicate the original position of the tripoint
from which the slightly modified position could then be projected
by measuring the angle of dilapidation & height from base to top
& calculating trigonometrically

or is it all just a bunch of illusions
leaving the class a visit still just as easy as putting your finger
on a possible center dimple
or at worst
just measuring for the center of an unmarked monument top

& did anyone go thru any of these inquiries or motions

athusi
appears to have a similar object on top
or is that just part of the tree in the background
i cant tell
but it is curious

also did anyone climb up there to make the point class a
since it looks possible to wedge oneself up between any of the
poles & monument edges
far enough to raise an arm or torso to the center of the top face
or are we again talking about a class e visit
as in elusive
albeit of the so near & yet so far variety

in jespers pic it seems peter may have come closest to class a
or may have at least visited class c by eyeballing the point

i have similar comments & questions for both huroyu & plskua
while atitsi at least looks easy to touch class a
yet no photo is available of such success in any of these cases
so i have to ask
did anyone actually see or reach any of these points
as points rather than simply as rocks

all the excellent pix of bedelu together raise the very great
possibility that our next visitors to this point could easily
with the help of the bridge
string a transecting tape between the pair of riparian markers
& connect a second tape to this first tape by a movable eyelet
attaching its other end to & controlling it from the bede mark on
the bridge
& adjusting as necessary with a few tugs on either or both tapes
until the second tape fully coincides with the thalweg

& in this way a living pic of the trijunction & triline could be made
once again from the bridge
with the triline showing up vividly for the first time
as the half of the transect running from the eyelet to right bank

& the condo tripoints would be clearly visible in that case too
where the transect meets the eyelet & right bank respectively

i dont know if a similar thing could be done at defrlu
since there is evidently no bridge so readily at hand there
but it might be worth the effort there too in any case

of course surprinting ones photos with lines & dots works too
& peters large red dot at huskua may never be improved upon
for example
but doing such a job in real time & space seems way preferable
wherever that is possible
yet most especially for our two beloved trilines

befrlu
harry still seems to have the best take on this
if you remember to click on his leading pic
which itself is actually misleading

also peter seems right there too
but i think the desired stream junction might become more real
& thus more visible in still wetter weather
when a revisit should yield the desired result
a clear class b photo

czplsk
is this point defined by the streams or the witness monuments
or by both
& if only by the monuments
then couldnt the point be more accurately made by eyeballing or
chalk lining along the monument lines

hrhusi & hrhuyu
for clarity it should be stressed that both of these points are dual
at least for the time being
in view of their disputed statuses
just like the recently mentioned ksmone twins
nor evidently were any of the 4 desired positions seen
but revisits could conceivably reach all 4 half points
so a lot more play might still be had at all these places

& once again
please dont judge my remarks as anything but constructive
for i am the greatest appreciator of what has already been done
as well as always looking for improvements
& ever more exactitude
since we are talking by & large about points
rather than about mere lines usually
or about anything so gross as areas
ever
except perhaps when claving
tho this is so easy to forget in physical reality
& in the flush of our bounding enthusiasm