Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Crossing Cyprus UN buffer zone
Date: Oct 15, 2003 @ 17:46
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

>I've crossed into the Turkish zone at Ledra Palace Hotel twice, in 1996
>and 1999. The crossing procedure was straight-forward, took about half an
>hour from the Greek checkpoint through 100 metres of UN territory to the
>Turkish checkpoint.

I visited Cyprus last week, and things seemed to have become a bit more
relaxed at the Ledra Palace checkpoint. We were simply allowed to walk
through the Greek Cypriot checkpoint (although told to return by midnight)
and the 100 metres of UN buffer zone, before the passport check at the TRNC
checkpoint. Coming back, we had to shown our passports again at the TRNC
checkpoint, but the solitary Greek Cypriot official the other side wasn't
checking anyone coming back. I managed to take some photos of the buffer
zone around the Ledra Palace, so I'll put these on the web when I get them
developed.

I also tried to get near the Kokkina enclave, but it's still bristling with
UN troops. The best I could do was a long-range photograph from an
overlooking hill.

Finally, I got a few photographs of the Akrotiri and Dhekelia SBAs. It's
quite interesting to drive along the road within the Dhekelia SBA towards
Famagusta, with the Turkish line on one side, and the Greek line on the
other side.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell