Subject: Re: SPAM: [BoundaryPoint] Crossing Cyprus UN buffer zone
Date: Oct 20, 2002 @ 06:50
Author: Rolf Palmberg LI ("Rolf Palmberg LI" <rpalmber@...>)

Hi

I've crossed into the Turkish zone at Ledra Palace Hotel twice, in 1996 and 1999. The crossing procedure was straight-forward, took about half an hour from the Greek checkpoint through 100 metres of UN territory to the Turkish checkpoint. Two rules: be back in time (they'll tell you when on the Greek side) and don't buy anything (big) on the Turkish side. And get no Turkish stamp in your passport.
The Turkish side is a maze with hardly any street names and nobody speaking English (apart from the local salesmen). They'll accept Cypriot pounds everywhere. Go up to the roof of 9-storey Sahray Hotel by Atatürk Square - the view of both sides of the capital is amazing!
I don't know anything about the Kokkina area, but the Famagusta UN buffer zone is definitely a no-go area. You can enter the UN buffer zone at Ledra and here and there in the central areas of Cyprus, but never cross to the Turkish side. My favourite village is Pyla, 5 km north of Larnaca. It's in the UN zone, and both Greek and Turk-Cypriots live here peacefully side by side. It's worth a visit, but be very careful with photographs. Taking pictures is forbidden everywhere in the UN zone, and UN presence is strong in Pyla. They'll confiscate your film if you're caught.
I have a couple of Cyprus border pics on my border site if you're interested.
http://www.vasa.abo.fi/users/rpalmber/borders2.htm

Best wishes,
Rolf