Subject: Re:-iteration, Berlin exclaves
Date: Oct 17, 2002 @ 01:12
Author: Wolfgang Pietsch ("Wolfgang Pietsch" <wpi@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Ernst Stavro Blofeld wrote:

> There is an update to http://berlin.enclaves.org
> for those interested in damp, grassy
> fields and wet cobblestone.

Yes, I like that ! Very good !

Ready for some little corrections ? Here we go ...

Erlengrund & Fichtewiese:

> 3. An old bordermarker showing the limits of Greater Berlin.
> Ficthewiese bearly visible through the trees.

These stones are no typical bordermarkers. It's a so called
"Jagenstein" of the Berlin Forest Administration marking
rectangular and numbered "Jagen" forest districts. If this
stands at the path parallel to the borderline, this won't
mark the line here.

> 4. The concrete pilar is the foundation for the DDR-style
> border markers. No DDR-plaques with the sickle and the
> compass were found.

These kind of stones mark the border exactly. Many of them
can still be found around West-Berlin (not at the inner city
border). So your yellow marks have to be redrawn. The edge of
the path is not the border here, your "SBZ" mark is still
in Berlin. Right, these stones were not disfigured with
Eastern symbols.

Steinstuecken:

> 1. This is the northwest corner of Steinstücken.

The sidewalk of Stahnsdorfer Str. (cobblestone) and your mark
"Steinstücken" is already in Potsdam. Also the vertical yellow
line along Rote-Kreuz-Str. should be 2m left. I remember a
boundary stone on that corner with red fluorescent spray color.
There is something tiny and red on that picture, right post
of the "Erdmannshof" sign, direction 5 o'clock, 1m.

> 2. This is the southern border of Steinstücken, The mouth of
> Bernhard-Beyer-Straße can be spotted to the right.

Same as above. The sidewalk of Steinstr. is (parking cars are)
in Potsdam. A provisional street running parallel to Steinstr.
through private property was used until construction of
Johannes-Niemeyer-Weg to reach SE of Steinstücken.
The start of that path can still be seen at the corner of
B.-Beyer- / Steinstr. , now closed by a fence.

Generally, borders in Berlin are made by private estate.
Thus, Bernauer Str. became such a drama right after the wall,
houses East, street and sidewalk West.

Well done, Mr. Blofeld ;-) Keep goin ...