Subject: Re: Berlin exclave query
Date: Oct 14, 2002 @ 21:25
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...> wrote:
> So, quite a few of the exclaves in the 1939 map seems
> fragmented, especially the two largest enclaves, but
> not on maps afterward. Does anybody know when they
> were joined, if ever.

I think you mean Finkenkrug (#4 and #7) and Eiskeller (#1 and #3)?
They were never physically fragmented. The lines "inside" those
exclaves on the map mean that they were composed of several bits real
estate belonging to different municipalities all of whom were
incorporated into Berlin in 1920. But the real estate forming those
enclave have always been adjacent to each other, so they formed "one"
enclave of Berlin inside <whatever the surrounding territory was
called over the times>.

> Same question on when the
> Seeburg enclave disappeared, if ever.

AFAIK it was disputed between east and west that it was an enclave.
The fact that this bit of land belonged to Seeburg was not, but there
was disagreement over its legal status. A private land possession
that happened to be owned by that municipality, but was under
administrative control of Berlin, vs. an administrative boundary.
Only in the latter case would it have formed an enclave. Since the
1988 agreement between DDR and West Berlin statese that no further
enclaves exist, it ceased to exist then, whatever its status might
have been before.

> I haven't
> really looked at that area in the Berlin atlas I have
> seen in the library, so I don't know if it existed in
> the 1960s.

You won't find it marked as an enclave in any commercial maps,
probably for this reason.

Regards