Subject: Re: webpage on the bordermarkers of Llivia
Date: Oct 04, 2002 @ 22:52
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., <marcelmiquel@n...> wrote:

> it's a otophoto map

another curious word
& of course i cant help wondering if it is ever spelled otofoto
as seems likely enough
for if so i think our pal dan will also be interested

in any case i wish he will get back soon to settle that delicious
question he raised about those siamese twin border localities

> catalan. If you know french and/or spanish it will be easy to
> understand it. Tell me if you need some help.
>
> >- "privada de caca" means something like "hunting reserved" I
think.

> Well, the sign is "àrea privada de caça" ( you're right, it
> means "hunting private area". It's funny, because "privada de
caca"
> means something like "shit private area" ).

of course that scintilla of a cedilla eluded me too in the pix

indeed i am still not sure it is even there
unsure enough to wonder if that isnt catalan rather than spanish
& if catalan doesnt drop its spots when it is written in full caps
as french sometimes tends to do
or keeps them up like spanish & portuguese

now where is peter smaardijk when we really need him too

in fact where is almost everyone lately

it reminds me of a christmas party i once attended in lima
where we were playing a game the object of which was to retire
members of the rival team by making them laugh

the contest was fierce because eventually everyone was in
stitches except for one deadpan holdout on each side
& my spanish was notoriously bad
so i was finally able to crack the last opponent up by wishing him
a litany of bungled seasonal greetings
concluding with
y un feliz nuevo ano