Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Vermont - Quebec
Date: Sep 21, 2002 @ 13:27
Author: Doug Murray ("Doug Murray" <doug@...>)

From what I can tell, many of the buildings are old (the Haskell dates back to 1901) and were built when the border didn't have as much meaning.  Some, I'm sure, predated Canada (which only became an official country in 1867) -- and this may account for some of them.

When I asked the Hurtibuse's, they thought that the border was less important when their house was built -- no body really cared.  Today, however, the governments of both nations want to get rid of these kinds of buildings -- and there are many rules concerning building near the border.

One place I've heard about, but didn't see, is a factory on the Vermont-Quebec border.  Apparently the Canadian side is closed and boarded up -- while the American side still functions.

I'll be contacting the International Boundary Commission (Canada-US) soon -- and I will try to get the answer.  I'll also be embarking on the GPRBE (The Great Point Roberts Border Expedition) and the GPNWBE (The Great Pacific North West Border Expedition) to collect more information about the borderlands near my home.  I want to visit the US Border Patrol control centre in Blaine, Washington -- and talk about the recent monitoring equipment installed along Zero Avenue, etc.

Answers to come...

Doug