Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Jan Mayen (was: EU or not)
Date: Sep 15, 2002 @ 21:44
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

--- Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@...> wrote:
> > I think it's one of these claims that can never be proved. The
> definition
> > of a city seems to vary between countries and I'm not aware of
> > international standards in this respect :-(
> The same thing is going on at the other end of the world: the
> Argentinians describe Ushuaia as "the southernmost town in the
> world", while south across the Beagle Channel lies the Chilean
> settlement of Puerto Williams, which the Chileans call "the
> southernmost town in the world".
>
> Grant

"City" is a bit of a difficult definition. Only recently Michael Donner
denounced my claim that Comines was a double-town on both sides of the
border. I mentioned that the Belgian Comines wasn't a separate
municipality anymore, but part of the new municipality
Comines-Warneton. But just look at "municipality": in France, some
municipalities only have a couple (i.e. two) inhabitants, and there are
even municipalities without inhabitants whatsoever! In the Netherlands,
any municipality under 10000 inhabitants is at risk of being merged
(exceptions: for example islands, and extremely rich municipalities:
Schiermonnikoog, Vlieland, Rozendaal). In Belgium, it's the same story,
the exceptions being the municipalities that can't be merged without
serious trouble between Flemings and Walloons (Herstappe, Mesen).

So what is a city?

I always thought that Alert in Canada was the northernmost city of the
world. But I don't know how many people live there, let alone if they
have some sort of an elected council and a mayor...

Peter S.