Subject: Re: Iron Curtain fluttering
Date: Sep 14, 2002 @ 07:16
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Not only the borders of West Berlin were subject to changes in the
> period 1945 - 1989, but also the East-West German border.

It seems Amt Neuhaus is missing in your list. A couple of communities
on the north bank of the river Elbe between Niedersachsen and
Mecklenburg. They used to belong to Hannover province and
therefore "should" have belonged in Niedersachsen (British), but the
border was drawn through the Elbe, making them Mecklenburg (Soviet).
I have no details on exactly why and when this happened; the Allied
map of occupation zones of 1944 still shows it in the British zone,
so a change must have been agreed some time later. Amt Neuhaus came
back to Niedersachsen in 1993.

Regards