Subject: Re: Lake Ceresio
Date: Sep 13, 2002 @ 22:22
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
wrote:
> > My understanding is that St Pierre et Miquelon is halfway between
> DOM
> > (part of France) and a TOM (colony of France). Just like Mayotte
in
> > 1976, SP&M became a collectivité territoriale in 1985.
> And Corsica became a collectivité territoriale in 1992, without
> hardly anyone noticing. But it confirms that there must be some
> degree of separation from "part of France" status, otherwise why
> would Corsica want to do it?
>
> Grant

A very fierce independence movement, with a couple of factions, some
of them pretty violent.

They are the most homogenously "different" area of "European" France.
A domino effect with regard to, let's say, the Basque country or
Brittany, is not very likely. Corsica is an island.

The special status appeases (or is meant to appease - it depends how
you look at it) the Corsicans. It potentially opens up the way for
official recognition of the Corsican language (or the Corsican
dialect of the Italian language - this is also subject to discussion,
although a discussion that is not very fruitful and not to be had
with a Corsican...).

Peter S.