Subject: Re: EU or not?
Date: Sep 13, 2002 @ 13:30
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Peter,

>Acc. to my info, this was on Feb. 1, 1985.

You're quite right. I got this mixed-up with the date of home rule,
although from memory, I'm sure the Greenlanders actually made the decision
to withdraw from the EEA some years before 1985.

>The Canary Islands are, as far as I know, a normal Spanish region,
>consisting of two provinces, and definitely part of the EU because
>they are a part of Spain proper.

I'd agree, but they would seem to have a similar status to the Channel
Islands as they're not considered to be part of the EU for customs purposes.

>Well, no one is living there or doing anything there that might care...

Not yet, but how long before some enterprising person tries to do a
'Sealand' there?

Regards,

Kevin Meynell