Subject: EU or not (was Re: Lake Ceresio)
Date: Sep 13, 2002 @ 12:27
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Nicholas,

>Are Greenland and the Faroes part of the EU at all?

I don't think so. Greenland was originally included when Denmark joined the
EEC in 1973, but seceded in 1979 (in fact the only country ever to leave
the EU). I don't think the Faroes were ever part of the EU.

>I thought they were simply Danish just like the Channel Islands and
>Falkland Islands are
>British.

You have to be careful. I understand the British Crown Dependencies (the
Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey, and the Isle of Man) are formally
considered to be members of the EU, but have opted out of certain aspects.

I attempt to maintain the following list for work-related reasons, but I
can't find definitive answers about some of the outlying national
territories (e.g. Bouvet Island, Canary Islands). The status of Andorra,
San Marino, Holy See and Monaco is also unclear as it would seem they have
special arrangements with the EU, but neither are they formally part of the
EEA. However, feel free to suggest any corrections...

EU countries:

Austria E,S
Belgium E,S
Denmark N (excludes Faroe Islands and Greenland)
Finland E,N (includes Aaland Islands)
France E,S (includes overseas departments of Guadeloupe, French Guiana,
Martinique and Reunion; excludes overseas territories)
Germany E,S
Greece E
Ireland E,B
Italy E,S
Luxembourg E,S
The Netherlands E,S (excludes Aruba and Netherlands Antilles)
Portugal E,S (includes Azores and Madeira)
Spain E,S (includes Ceuta & Melilla, excludes Canary Islands)
Sweden N
United Kingdom B (includes Gibraltar; excludes other overseas territories
and Cyprus Sovereign Bases; Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man have separate
arrangements)

EEA countries:

Iceland N
Liechtenstein
Norway N (includes Svalbard)

E = Euro Countries (note Andorra, Holy See, Monaco and San Marino also use
the Euro)
S = Schengen Countries (EU Passport Union)
B = British Isles Common Travel Area
N = Nordic Passport Union

Regards,

Kevin Meynell