Subject: Antarctic territories
Date: Sep 11, 2002 @ 09:58
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

>"Peter S.!, if we should count Queen Maud Land as a part of my old land's
>mainland

What is the status of the various Antarctic territories? I think seven
nations make territorial claims (some of which overlap each other), but I
understood these were not recognised by anyone else. This would appear to
be confirmed by the fact that these territories do not appear individually
on the ISO 3166-1 list.

>Yes, and the mysterious Bouvet and Peter I islands as well!

I thought Bouvet and Peter I islands were internationally recognised as
being Norwegian possessions and therefore not part of the Norwegian
Antarctic territory. They certainly have a separate listing on ISO 3166-1.

I guess Bouvet would have been forever consigned to anonymity if it weren't
for the (alleged) nuclear test by South Africa and Israel in the vicinity.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell