Subject: Re: TriPoint Attempt?
Date: Aug 27, 2002 @ 06:26
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:

> Here's a map from the Canadian Glacier National Park Site:
> http://www.nps.gov/glac/images/bigmap.gif

that looks like a yanko nps map doug but no matter
its the right stuff
& the zoomer has been complaining about his location since
message 6416
but i can assure you both that north america is great for try
pointing if you care to try it here

the mere existence of world class tripointing inhibits many
people from having the world class fun they could be having right
around home anywhere in the world

this particular point was first presented at bp by dan jacobson
photographing class d from cameron lake in
http://jidanni.org/geo/us_can1994/images/19940725cameron_la
ke.jpg
oops
you may need to hand cobble that url
&or see also
http://jidanni.org/geo/us_can1994 for his helpful & interesting
field notes as well as another way to get there

but if you can walk along the continental divide as easily here as
i know you can in the idmtwy vicinity
a loftier tho not as rugged or chilly looking a strip
& thats a big if but worth a trial imo
then the target caus monument 272 at elevation 7640 looks to
be a fairly routine 2 or 3 mile hike up from akamina pass
which itself appears to be only a mile or so up the trail from
akamina parkway

but the window of opportunity for this try may be small
since it could start to snow again up there any day now

an extra bonus for your effort
if the blizz & the grizz dont get you
just kidding
its probably too high for the grizz
is that this most challenging binational tripoint on the caus line
south of alaska is actually also a rare international tertiary
megapoint
since 2 montana counties also meet the 2 canadian provinces
right there too

so it would be a very distinguished beginning of any trypointing
career
especially since we dont know anyone who has been there yet

& i would also like to say that it might be preferable to call it a try
rather than an attempt
since i see you are using both words anyway zoomer

i like to think of trypointing as trying or testing or probing a point
to see what adventures it might hold in store for one
even as the point itself tries or tests the pointer too in a way
& this is an entirely positive & reciprocal gesture whether you
succeed the first time or not
while the idea of attempting seems to me so tentative & perhaps
even diffident & well almost pointless that i wouldnt even care to
try that

also sometimes not making the point can be more interesting
than making it
& it is perfectly fine to be left with somewhere to go & something
to try try again

so take good care of yourself if you do try this one
& forget about disappointment & being stuck etc etc
if you wish
as all that neednt even be an issue here

best wishes whatever you decide or call it

> And another version:
> http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/GLACmap1.pdf
>
> There are trails near to the TP -- but I think you're right about
the continental divide.

> Doug

Alberta/BC/Montana
> tri point. I dont know how difficult this will be or if it is even
> reachable but it's worth a go. The Biggest problem with this
tripoint
> is altitude as it is on the Continental divide. I know I can reach
> the Alberta /Montana border because of a near by lake which
has flat
> terrain but wheather or not the ridge between Alberta and BC
is
> attainable is the question. I'll keep u posted
>
> Zoomer

Service.