Subject: Re: Berlin maps - (and Belgian Enclave News)
Date: Aug 05, 2002 @ 08:31
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "pho_tek" <pho_tek@y...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Bernhard Lurssen <tardis@h...> wrote:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > I have a pre-1989 Falk Plan (1985). Interested in scans?
> >
> > Bernhard
> >

> Yes, absolutely! I have a bid on ebay.de on a 1987 Falk Plan but I
am
> not sure if i get it for a good price.

Concerning maps I don't really like Falk Plans :). The folding is
practical OK, but the details leave to be desired. The problem is
that the scale is distorted, buildings aren't drawn exactly (just the
block as a square), and concerning the subject of this forum, Falk
Plans omit minor administrative boundaries in the city. But some
other maps contain these. I recommend the "RV Stadtatlas", which was
first issued in 1974 and sadly ceased in 1999, ebay occasionally has
pre-1989 issues of this one. For the era pre-1961 "Berlin in der
Tasche", which ebay also has occasionally.

About the boundaries (back to topic): Berlin has/had the following
hierarchies: Outer city boundary, the border between East and West
Berlin, the borders between the three Western sectors withing W-
Berlin, boroughs, and "Ortsteile". Furthermore there's the issue of
the city boundary altered by the Allies between Staaken and Gatow in
the West, which a good map will also show.

Regards