Subject: Re: Is any part of Peru North of the Equator?
Date: Jul 29, 2002 @ 17:56
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@blueyonder.co.uk>)

Ross:
> While looking at a (low-resolution) map of Peru recently, I noticed that
> it's northernmost point - at its border with Colombia, and very near the
> Peru-Colombia-Equador tripoint - is on a river that's very close to the
> Equator. I'm curious as to whether or not this is actually North of the
> Equator. Does anyone on this list know for sure?

Interesting bit of border. All the maps I have show the Peru-Colombia border
following the Putumayo River all the way to the tripoint, which is in the
Putumayo River near a Peruvian town called Güeppi. I've attached a jpeg clip
from DeLorme's EarthA, which shows the relevant region around the tripoint.
That northward bend the Putumayo River takes just east of the tripoint
brings it pretty close to the Equator (the black horizontal line on the map)
but it doesn't reach it. The World DataBase gives the coordinates of the
northernmost point as Lat -0.032deg Lon -75.184deg.
The interesting bit started when I looked in Biger, who has a rather
different run for the border, albeit farther south. I've attached a bmp scan
of his map. He describes this as the border following the Putumayo "... to
its confluence with one of its tributaries, the Güeppi River. The boundary
line follows that river upstream westwards for about 25 miles (40km) and
meets the boundary junction with Ecuador northwest of the small Colombian
town of Cabo Reyes." This makes no sense in terms of the map, which shows
the border striking off overland and meeting the Güeppi at the tripoint.
This is compounded by the entry for the Colombia-Ecuador border which
states: "The eastern terminus of the boundary is located on the the Güeppi
River, west of the small town of Cabo Minacho (Ecuador). It follows the
river downstream eastwards to its confluence with the Putumayo River ..."
Taken together, these seem to imply that the two borders run alongside each
other in the Güeppi River between the tripoint (40km upstream) and the
confluence with the Putumayo (where most maps apparently plot the tripoint).

So ... in answer to your question, I think that Peru doesn't extend north of
the Putumayo River, which doesn't go north of the equator along the
Colombia-Peruvian border. But beyond that I haven't the foggiest notion
where the border goes!
Anyone?

Grant