Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Is any part of Peru North of the Equator?
Date: Jul 29, 2002 @ 18:15
Author: Manfred Haertel (Manfred Haertel <Manfred.Haertel@...>)

Ross Finlayson schrieb:

> While looking at a (low-resolution) map of Peru recently, I noticed that
> it's northernmost point - at its border with Colombia, and very near the
> Peru-Colombia-Equador tripoint - is on a river that's very close to the
> Equator. I'm curious as to whether or not this is actually North of the
> Equator. Does anyone on this list know for sure?

This is an interesting question, which I was asking myself for more than
30 years, since, in school, we should make a list of all countries on
the equator and I couldn't determine whether Peru was one of these
countries or not. The surprise was, that even the teacher didn't know.
;-)

I looked at the Peru map at http://maps.expedia.com and there it looks
as if the northern most point of Peru is just a little bit - may be just
one kilometer - south of the Equator!

--
Manfred Härtel mailto:Manfred.Haertel@...
http://rz-home.de/mhaertel