Subject: Re: To all: visiting Sankovo-Medvezhe
Date: Jul 13, 2002 @ 12:54
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

I've found that government document again (for those that can read
Russian: http://www.akdi.ru/econom/nalog/666.htm ). The two villages
are included in the list "List of towns in areas that are affected by
radioactive contamination following the Chernobyl and other radiation
catastrophes, on which territories for the enterprises and
organisations that reside there (that are displaced) reductions for
tax on profits are established", in the first section of that list
called "Evacuation Zone". That might well mean that not only no-one
is living there anymore, but also that it is a no-go area...

A pity, really....

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "ps1966nl" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> None whatsoever. It's very difficult to find anything about
> San'kovo/Medvezhe on the internet. The only Russian site that
> mentions it is a government site saying that it is a hazardous area
> because of the Chernobyl radiation contamination...
>
> You can see part of the enclave at
> http://www.bryansk.org/geo/maps/brobl/map_24i.jpg (top left
corner).
> Here the two villages are called San'kov (without the o) and
> Medvezhe. "San'kova" is a typo, by the way.
>
> Peter S.
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "granthutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
> wrote:
> > Everyone:
> > I've just received a query from an American traveller who is
> planning
> > to go to Belarus this year, and is also hoping to visit the
Sankova-