Subject: Re: For you tripoint freaks - CS-DDR-BRD photo
Date: Jul 01, 2002 @ 00:37
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

About the "end of the fence", the text in the booklet says (roughly
translated):

"From Prex (the town in the map south of the tripoint) there is no
direction sign pointing to the tripoint. It is the tripoint where
Bavaria, Saxony and Bohemia formerly met [explaining the "S" and the
"DB" on the white markers]. From the road to Hinterprex, a dead end
forks off to the left, ending at a parking lot. From there, a 50
meter long path leads past a soldier's grave in a low, wet area that
comprises the source of the brooks that develop into the Regnitz
river. The meeting of the borderlines, marked since at leats 1844 as
can be seen on the one stone, is on the transition point marked by the
red-white and the blue-white fence [horizontally, in back of the
rght hand border stone, but not seen well in the scanned photo]. At
this quite, remote village, on this inaccessible point, and under
rules relating to the protection of nature live river pearl mussels.
There is almost no information about the history or the current
situation relating to the borders. This southernmost point on the
East German - West German border is utterly unspectacular. The border
fortifications are set back from this site and are hardly visible to
the visitor."

The photo, to answer someeone else's question, had to have been taken
prior to 1984, when I got the booklet.

Regards

Len Nadybal

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "strataflorida" <dbirch@c...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@s...> wrote:
> > Thank you. I actually lived close for a while, it was a
destination