Subject: Re: Towns across borders
Date: Jun 21, 2002 @ 07:26
Author: djtilque ("djtilque" <dtilque@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Manfred Haertel <Manfred.Haertel@r...>
wrote:

> There are at least 4 towns (may be more) split by the
> border between Germany and Luxembourg: Echternach,
> Wasserbillig, Wallendorf and Bollendorf. They were
> split long time ago, at the Congress of Vienna in
> 1815, when the parts of Luxembourg east of the rivers
> Our/Sure/Moselle were given to Prussia.

One of my criteria is that the two towns have identical names. And
this criterion is why there are few if any examples in Europe. The
European practice seems to be to give one of them a new name.

Luxembourg name German name
Echternach Echternacherbrück
Wasserbillig Overbillig
Bollendorf-Pont Bollendorf

Not sure about Wallendorf as it seems to be entirely on the German
side of the river. At least that's what it shows at a mapping site I
found:

http://www.maporama.com/share/