Subject: Re: east timor
Date: Jun 03, 2002 @ 21:25
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

Ocussi-Ambeno seems to have stayed Portuguese when the Dutch and the
Portuguese decided to eliminate the enclaves on the island, and it
was decided that Ocussi-Ambeno was not an enclave, because of its
access to the sea. Cf. this part of an expose, given by the
Portuguese delegation of a bipartite conference on the question, held
in The Hague in 1902:

"Some years after the treaty of April 20, 1859, between Portugal and
the Netherlands came into force, the Dutch indigenous population of
Amekono occupied the part of the territory linking Nai-Muti to Ocussi-
Ambeno, thus making Nai-Muti a real Portuguese enclave inside Dutch
territory.
When the Portuguese government learned about this fact some years
later, it agreed to conclude a new convention, on June 10, 1893, with
the goal of correcting the flaws of the previous treaty
by "establishing in a clearer and more exact way the demarcation of
their possessions on the island of Timor, and to eliminate the
enclaved territories _existing at that time_", in other words, the
enclaves as they existed at the time of the convention.
And what were those enclaves on Timor? Those were that of "Nai-Muti"
(Portuguese), completely surrounded by territory that had become
Dutch, and that of "Maukatar" (Dutch), completely enclaved within
Portuguese territory.
"Ocussi-Ambeno", with an important extension to the sea shore, having
ports and quays, like those at Cizale, Ocussi, Lifau, Tulican,
Oinuno, and Sutrana, that provide free access to the land, is not an
enclave and has never been one, as has been recognised by the Dutch
commission at a meeting held on February 9, 1899, at Koepang. And,
indeed, Ocussi-Ambeno, being in an identical geographical position as
that of Portugal towards Spain, and that of Belgium towards the
surrounding countries, cannot be considered an _enclave_.
Therefore, there are only two enclaves left, those that are mentioned
above (...)"

[Translated from the French]

This is an excerpt from the "Acts of the Conference to examine the
question of delimitation between the Dutch and Portuguese possessions
on the island of Timor, held in The Hague, from June 23 to July 3,
1902". It is not the final treaty, but I think that this viewpoint
from the Portuguese delegation was upheld and integrated in the final
treaty and the subsequent demarcation of the boundary. A map that
goes with this document confirms it. Other boundary adjustments had
to compensate for the inequality of the size of the territory
transfered following the elimination of the enclaves.

Peter S.