Subject: Re: Berlin enclaves & territorial exchanges
Date: Jun 03, 2002 @ 14:10
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Hi. I'm still reading.
To bring this back to earth, I'll only say we are descending into the
same kind of situation "parsing" positions just as the parties to the
Berlin morass did under occupation. I found the "westsektoren"
argument you made was interesting and valid. However, I don't buy
the point on the joint westsektoren administration of the city as a
whole. The "British Military Government" (did you ever see the big
sign on their HQ?) has little if any authority in the US and French
sectors, although they did have free access to the whole (Russians'
recalcitrance notwithsanding). I think you can say the intent was to
"jointly administer the city as a whole" but not to establish a
condominium. "Westsektoren Berlins" was never an entity, just a
geographic area. Come to think of it, the treaty could only be
interpreted as referring to a geographic area - that would have left
the question unanswered as to which occupying nation's jurisdiction it
was under.

Where you wrote "But I think you misinterpret the intention. There was
no inention to cease Soviet participation on the occupation of all
Berlin, and there was no such intention in this treaty.", I didn't
intend to say there was an intent to stop Russian participating in
occupation of all Berlin - I meant only in Steinstuecken. When you
think about it further, treating the "westsektoren" as a geographic
reference only, with the question open as to which party's sector
it belonged, effectively left it out of the US sector (de jure) and
outside of the area where the Russians had free access (i.e. the four
sectors). I still think Steinstuecken technically had a different
status applying to it after the treaty and before the end of
occupation.

With regard to the "Polish sector", I owe you another map - you'll see
what I mean. At some point Poland had to annex Schlesien etc., and
from the date war ended to the date of annexation, it could very well
have been that a Polish Zone of Occupation existed. This needs more
research - but the map is coming.

Regards

LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@s...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> > Re: The treaty says that it was ceded to the "Westsektoren
Berlins"

> > It seems it should have read "ceded to the American Sector of
> > Berlin", to which it was adjacent. I don't see how it could have
> been
> > made part of all three.
>
> Of course. But I think you are more pedantic than the treaty makers.
> In all the treaties of that time, including the original four-power-
> agreement, "Westsektoren Berlins" is the standard wording for "West
> Berlin", probably carefully designed by diplomats in order to find a
> wording that both sides could live with. The wording used for "East
> Berlin" is much more complicated, because there was even more
> dissense if it was even subject of the treaties, and how to call it.
> But that's a different subject.
>
> So they used "Westsektoren Berlins" all the time, even if the
> resulting sentence made no sense on closer look.
>
> > Clearly the intent of the treaty
> > was to cause any Russian occupation rights in Steinstuecken to
> cease -
> > because the Russians had certain residual rights in the Western
> > sectors even after they pulled out of the Kommandatura or the
> > Kontrolrat (were they the same thing?).
>
> No. Kommandatura = supreme Allied authority for Berlin. Kontrollrat
=
> supreme Allied authority for Germany.
>
> On the contrary, until 1990
the
> Western Allies insisted on Four Power control of all Berlin,
> including the Soviets, and (well, symbolically - they didn't expect
> yes) invited the Soviets to rejoin the Kommandantura. In the
> meantime, they granted the Soviets rights as a consequence of their
> participation, e.g. military patrols access to West Berlin (presence
> the memorial in Tiergarten included, but also regular jeep patrols),
> which the Soviets used, and Western patrols in East Berlin, which
the
> Soviets granted.
>
> A self contradictory position on the Soviet side, because partly
they
> contested the fact that a common occupation of the city still
> existed, partly they used their rights which grew out of it. But
that
> was how it was.
>
> > Thus, Steinstuecken became a
> > little area among the west sectors that had a slightly different
> > occupation regime in existence, than the rest of the western areas
> > had.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> > Re: Facts: In 1945 Germany was carved into 4 occupation zones, and
> > Berlin as a "5th zone" to be occupied jointly.
> >
> > I have a German post-war map showing a two-part Polish sector.
>
> Huh? Unless you speak of Schlesien/Pommern/Ostpreußen, which were
> ceded to Poland and Russia, I don't know what you're talking about.
> have a map from the 12 Sept. 1944 London conference UK/USA/USSR,
> which already shows the occupation zones as they later came to be,
> including all of Berlin as an enclave in the Soviet zone. The only
> detail this map omits is the annexation of Eastern Germany to
> Poland/Russia, since that was decided at a later conference (Yalta).
> No Polish zone west of Oder/Neiße border was ever contemplated, to
> the best of my knowledge.
>
> > You can't
> > say really, that Berlin is in the mix as a "5th Zone", even with
""
> > around it. The zones in Berlin were never occupied "jointly" and
> > unlike the Bizone (Vereinigte Wirtschaftsgebiet) in the West,
there
> > was no "unification of zones" in Berlin.
>
> Oh yes, quite! That is the point! The sectors of Berlin were not
> meant to be governed separately from each other like four
independent