Subject: Re: tripoints versus triple points
Date: May 22, 2002 @ 23:44
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Hering"

> by Stephen B. Jones in 1945
> The word "tripoint" isn't mentioned at all, instead the
> terms "triple points" and "trijunction points" are used..
>
> SO, my question to those of you having English/American
> as first language...!
>
> Is "tripoint" a modern word... born in the US or GB??

hi peter
the word tripoint strikes me as a fairly spontaneous & universal
modernism & an outgrowth of natural language neither exclusively gb
nor us
nor any other breed of english so far as i can tell

in the usa we have long referred to tristate & tricounty points or
regions etc
but the word tripoint in general & especially when referring to
tricountry points just hasnt been in the vernacular here & seems
almost to have waited for bp to even be seriously noticed
if indeed it has been seriously noticed even yet

i also have the impression from my reading that it is only since about
the 1970s or 1980s that the word tripoint or any of its cousins in
other modern languages has gotten much serious usage anywhere

this is mainly because not much special attention had been given to
the thing itself until that time
so whenever one considered or mentioned this thing one practically had
to name it oneself for the occasion
hence all the various terms

yet tripoint has since that time generally outdistanced & displaced
all the alternative terms for the thing

earlier the word tripoint may have seemed too glib or casual to apply
to such a technical & multiply serious & important thing

but once this easy & now familiar term was allowed & became respected
then all the alternatives have seemed increasingly ponderous & strange

in fact we are probably the first who have seriously fixated on
tripoints sufficiently to notice & mention that they usually go
unnoticed & unmentioned

& those of you who have tried browsing on any of these various terms
well know how relatively rare they all are

> PS: Jesper, Hans Peter (another Danish border freak)
> and I just returned from our mini expedition to the
> DeDk border... a very nice trip that brought us to all
> 16 crossing points (railway and road) and some other
> interesting places

did you find any 19th century dedk ghost stones
or did i just get faked out onto the wrong border

>the GEEBE that takes quite a lot of my time...

a great job & responsibility
& we certainly do appreciate all your efforts on behalf of geebe &
tripoints & try pointing in general