Subject: Timor
Date: May 20, 2002 @ 02:43
Author: b.whyte@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au (b.whyte@...)

> if someone has a better map of east timor, please post. also, could
> someone please give me a brief history of the enclave Ocussi-
> Ambeno ? thanks and congratulations to east timor!
>
> tim

Best account of the boundary is pp82/3 (text p 82, map p83) of Prescott, Collier & Prescott, "Frontiers of Asia and Southeast Asia", Uni Melbourne Press, 1977.
Copies available from Prof Prescott at:
j.prescott@...
There were a number of Dutch and Port. enclaves on the island until a treaty on 1 Oct 1904.(Probably avilable in Perry's "Consolidated Treaty Series").
A further arbitration on the E. boundary of Oecussi was handed down 25 June 1914 (see "American Journal of International Law", 1915, 9:240-68)

There are no decent maps of E.Timor, except large scale topos (1:25,000, 1:100,000), though there is at least one tourist-oriented one produced, and old Indonesian province maps.

BW