Subject: Re: Old bedelux mystery solved?
Date: May 17, 2002 @ 14:04
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002

> looking for the thalweg oops i mean the centerline of this earthen road
> in order to pin belu & paleobedelu upon that imaginary line
> midway between the paired markers on its banks i mean its shoulders

yet immediately after scribbling the above yesterday
i chanced to reach the following scene set on the us2ilin border
in chapter 11 of the book i had been reading
entitled illusions
& written by richard bach
which i had to admit lent still further credence to the dry thalweg theory
& which btw could well change the face of wetpointing too

the excerpt begins with the author quoting himself

if we can walk on water
& breathe it & drink it
why cant we do the same to land

responding
yes good
you will notice
he walked to the shore of the horse pond easily as walking a painted lake

but when his feet touched the ground
the sand & grass at the edge
he began to sink
until with a few slow steps he was up to his shoulders in earth & grass

it was as tho the pond had suddenly become an island
& the land about had turned to sea

he swam for a moment in the pasture
splashing it about him in dark loam drops
then floated on top of it
then rose & walked on it

it was suddenly miraculous to see a man walking
on the g r o u n d

i stood on the pond & applauded his performance

he bowed
& applauded mine

i walked to the edge of the pond
thought the earth to liquid & touched it with my toe

ripples spread into the grass in rings

how deep is the ground
i nearly asked aloud

the ground will be as deep as i think it will be

2 feet deep
i thought
it will be 2 feet deep & i will wade

i stepped confidently into the shore & sank over my head
an instant dropoff

it was black underground
scary
& i fought to the surface
holding my breath
flailing out for some solid water
for the edge of the pond to hold on to

he sat on the grass & laughed

you are a remarkable student
do you know that

etc
etc

& all in all
not a bad little book for try pointing & flying enthusiasts too