Subject: Re: The uncrossed hotwater tour
Date: Apr 23, 2002 @ 16:53
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> & since this was probably the most difficult such maze ever found
> anywhere in nature
> you have practically proved that what i have been calling border
> crosses are not necessarily border crosses at all
> & tho you havent proved they dont cross
Somewhere out there I imagine this simple situation of directed line
segments, quadripoints and an Euler tour has been addressed in the
maths literature, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Where is Martin
Gardner's or Ian Stewart's column in Scientific American when you
need it? Ian Stewart in particular might have picked this up and run
with it.
What we can say, though, is that a *fully crossed* hotwater tour is
impossible - the tiny dangling exclave attached to a larger clave by
two quadripoints prevents it, since the only fully crossed walk
around this would require two trips - one crosswise and one closed
loop.
A fully crossed tour was always going to be harder, since you only
have *one* way out of any given quadripoint (straight ahead), whereas
I'm allowed two (left or right) and can therefore better avoid being
forced back to my starting point or creating detached, untravelled
loops (which are the only two rules of Fleury's algorithm).

> so er what would you term these
Are they not just bipartite quadripoints?

Grant