Subject: Re: Disbuted town on Scottish/English border offer money to rejoin Scotland
Date: Apr 15, 2002 @ 19:53
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

What strikes me is the following: "The town stands on the northern
bank of the river Tweed - which is officially a Scottish river - and
its football and rugby teams play in Scottish leagues.

But it is English under law and has a mayor rather than a provost."

To be sure, it's not the football (soccer, OK?) that disturbs me, but
this "officially" Scottish river, making Berwick-North into some sort
of exclave. I find this very hard to believe. Probably a case
of "journalist messing up facts (or anything else)" again.

Or isn't it?

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "mls515.rm" <mls515@r...> wrote:
> Interesting. Looking at the map (multimap.com), it appears the
> England-Scotland border follows the river Tweed and veers north
just
> before reaching Berwick. The urbanization stradles both sides of
the
> river, and one of the connecting bridges is called the "Royal
Border

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1930000/193082