Subject: Re: ghaut instincts
Date: Apr 13, 2002 @ 17:18
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

From the "Dictionary of Caribbean English Usage" by Richard Allsopp
(Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1996):

ghaut (ghut, gut) n (Montserrat, St. Kitts, Virgin Islands) 1. A
valley or cleft in a mountain- or hill-side, esp one down wh water
runs to the sea after rains. _The Police and Preventive Officers are
now carrying the fight to the ghauts, hills and mountains where
illicit distilleries of 'hammond' operate._- 2. [By extension] Any
stream of water running into the sea, but esp one coming down the
hill-side. _If you drink the water of Runaway Ghaut, you're bound to
come back to Montserrat._- (Montserrat saying) [Prob a colonial
transfer of Anglo-Indian _ghaut_< Hindi _ghat_ 'a landing stage at a
river, and the path of descent to it' (N.B. This name is still used
for a riverside washing platform by East Indians in _Guyn_). Cp _OED
ghaut_ 2. 'a mountain pass' (of Anglo-Indian origin); however, see
Note at GUT]

This is that note:

gut n See GHAUT _... and when my mother went to the gut to wash
clothes, I would run down to the hill to Mr Christian's home, which
was about two city blocks away._- (...)

Peter S.