Subject: Gwadar & Tin bigha
Date: Apr 13, 2002 @ 06:51
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <b.whyte@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Christian wrote:
>I found a site about the former Omani exclave of Gwadar -
>http://www.oman.org/bonn_007.htm

I contacted Dr Nicolini last year, and she sent me a couple of articles
sh'ed written on Gwadar. She hasn't investigated the negotations for the
sale of it to Pakistan in 1958 though, she's more interested in trade and
older Omani history.
While at the PRO in London, I found some files there on the Paki-Omani
negotiations. Seems Pak wanted it "back", while the Omani sultan refused to
negotiate with them, as they were "only" a dominion, and not a republic,
thus he did not consider them independent of the UK, until 1956 (when Pak
replaced it's Governor General with a President (it took them 9 years from
1947 to develop a constitution, not that it lasted long). India became a
Republic in 1950, 3 years after independence.
Anyway, the Sultan insisted he would only negotiate with the UK, not
Pakistan. The UK tried to explain that Pak was independent...
By 1956 Pak got itself a president, and the sultan began negotiaitons, and
in 1958 Gwadar was sold for GBP3million.
Interestingly, this was almost simultaneous with the Nehru-Noon accords
which attempted to solve all Indo-Pak boundfary disputes, including the
enclave exchange and the Berubari issue ( a salient of Indian land into East
Pakistan, which Pak claimed. It was decided to halve it, but opponentsi n
India blocked the division in the courts for 12 years unitl Bangladesh was
independent).

As for a Tin Bigha map, sovereignty remains Indian 24-7, although
Bangladeshis can cross for 10 hours during the day (except lunchhour).
The corridor is fenced off on all sidew however, particularly on the
Bangladesh sides. to see the map, you gotta buy the thesis... :-)

BW