Subject: Re: Let's see if this works! CAUS border story
Date: Apr 07, 2002 @ 03:17
Author: mls515.rm ("mls515.rm" <mls515@...>)

I've departed Heathrow for the US twice, once on BA from Terminal 4
and the other time on VS from Terminal 3. I've never seen or
experienced US preclearance there. Nor at Gatwick one other time
either.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> I think they also do the same preclearance in some European
airports -- but can't find the info. I did find list that included
Aruba, Bahamas (2), Bermuda, and Canada (7). I'm sure that they do
it at Heathrow. Anyone?

> Doug

I've
> only been told is so).
>
> LN
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "mls515.rm" <mls515@r...> wrote:
> >
> > I stand corrected! My apologies, I was going off bad
information.
> > The preclearance is a fantastic idea in my opinion because it
> enables
> > more direct flights from Canadian cities to smaller US markets.
> >
> > The only other country I know of that has US Customs
preclearance is
> > Ireland (At DUB and SNN). I have to urgently run off to work
at the
> > moment, but here is the "Agreement between Ireland and the
United
> > States of America on Preinspection":
> >
> > http://193.120.124.98/gen241986a.html
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is a difference in the area of arrest
powers,
> > I'll have to read it when I get back.
> >

> > MIKE
> >

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> > > As a Canadian, it doesn't bother me as long as it's a two way
> > street. And I, for one, think that we should have combined
security
> > for North America minus Mexico -- tough screening at all ports
of
> > entry into Canada and the US and then easy passage between the
two
> > nations. I don't feel my sovereignty threatened by that.
> > >
> > > As for US customs agents at airports -- are you sure they
have
> > arrest powers? I recall a story at Vancouver International
where US
> > agents detained a 16 year old Canadian girl for a day -- simply
> > because she was dressed in a provocative manner. And all
heck
> > broke loose -- in that they cannot do that.
> > >
> > > It would seem to me that they can detain and turn over to the
> > RCMP... but as they are on Canadian soil, they have no powers
of
> > arrest. I don't think they carry guns. They can refuse entry
and
> > issue 5 year entry bans on the spot (meaning no joking)!
> > >
> > > But there is a better story recently reported: a Canadian
> citizen,
> > now living in the US, was charged and convicted of doing
business
> > with Cuba while he was in Canada! That's like Canada
convicting an
> > American for breaking Canadian law in the States!!! Canada
has no
> > embargo with Cuba...
> > >
> > > Strange little world over here in the territories!!
> > >
> > > Doug

operating in
> > the
> > > United States. How about US Customs pre-screening
operating at

<doug@d...>

tripped

> > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor