Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] graded sovereignty?
Date: Mar 27, 2002 @ 17:56
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: David
>
>Does anyone know of any current or past cases of "graded" sovereignty,
>that is, of one country grading or blending gradually into another?
>
>That is, at this point it is 100% "country A", and over there 90% "country
>A", 10% "country B". And then 70% "A", 30% "B", then 50-50, then 20% "A",
>80% "B", and finally 100% "B"? Sort of a condominium zone in which one

>country gradually gives way to the other?

well isnt this basically what happens in maritime boundary law as land territory phases into territorial seas & then into eezs & then into additional continental shelf claims & finally into pure high seas

in the course of all which gradual subtractions of national sovereignty are accompanied by corresponding accumulations of everyonese sovereignty

& to think you just said last week that you were not very interested in such maritime distinctions

but hang on for more wiseacrings from me below

>If not at the national level, any examples at the subnational level?

i think we saw very vividly during the drama of election 2000 how the sovereignties not only of the state of florida but even of its individual counties & their individual officials & voters often checked or even outweighed the sovereignties of supposedly more sovereign entities than themselves

but really what i think you may be grasping at here david is how the whole notion of national sovereignty is crumbling before our very eyes as we move into the postmonarchical world

& how its undoing gains momentum as more & more of us ordinary people realize our personal divinity

& how within this evolution is born the idea nay the inevitability of everyones land