Subject: Re: Out-of-focus quadripoints
Date: Mar 12, 2002 @ 21:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

of course grant
nice going
& sock it to us

about bwnazmzw
i have also been thinking that the existence of the kasane kazungula
ferry so called across the zambezi per se suggests a bwnazm plus
bwzmzw pairing rather than the other way round
even regardless of the icj decision that fixed the bwna line into the
left channel of the chobe & thus very probably also fixed the thalweg
junction at a higher point on the zambezi than the bwzw line or than
these ferry termini in botswana & zambia respectively
tho my conclusion upon these icj data is still conjectural
for only text & no map was published by the court

& about frgbnlus
i am pretty sure st martin has only the single grandiose monument at
the main road crossing
& i do recall a lot of actual confusion on this island that prides
itself in being a single community & practically ignoring the
boundary except to monumentalize that singularity
so unless there is some crystal clear documentation somewhere
which i doubt
i think it should be an ongoing madcap scenario as to which coast the
frnl line actually emerges at

about cocrnipa
san andres etc on the ground is clearly colombian
with regular air service etc
if that helps

finally arent there also 2 tridominial territorial quadripoints in
the gulf of fonseca

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@b...>
wrote:
> A while back I referred to the bwnazmzw juncture as an "out-of-
focus
> quadripoint": an area where four countries met, almost certainly in
two
> tripoints, but in an ill-defined way. My various readings around
EEZ
> boundaries has turned up several more of these. The list is as
follows:

> BWNAZMZW
> The original. Decomposes into either bwnazw+nazmzw or
bwzmzw+bwnazm,
> depending on where the confluence of the Chobe River (bwna) and
Zambezi
> River (nazm, zmzw) lies relative to the line of the bwzw border
markers.

> FRGBNLUS
> The maritime border between Saint Martin and Sint Maarten (frnl)
has not
> been agreed. Its western extension, based on the principle of
> equidistance, depends critically on the location of the western
terminus
> of the land border. This is usually shown terminating on the SW
coast of
> the island, which would propagate the equidistance line in a SW
> direction. However, many maps of potential maritime boundaries
(Jane's,
> Prescott) show this boundary heading NW. The SW extension of the
frnl
> boundary hits the Puerto Rican equidistance line, creating
tripoints
> frnlus+frgbus; the NW extension hits the agreed boundary between
Saint
> Martin & Anguilla, creating tripoints frgbnl+gbnlus.
>
> BGROTRUA
> In the Black Sea, Turkey has agreed boundaries with Bulgaria and
> Ukraine. Romania's borders with both Ukraine and Bulgaria are not
> determined. The detailed line of roua will determine whether
bgrotrua
> decomposes into rotrua+bgrotr or bgtrua+bgroua.
>
> CYEGGRTR
> On a straight principle of equidistance, Greece has an EEZ boundary
with
> Cyprus, intruding between Turkish and Egyptian waters. However,
none of
> these borders are determined by treaty. The run of grtr is
particularly
> sensitive to how much weight is given to the Greek Megisti islands,
1nm
> off the coast of Turkey - full equidistance would be inequitable
for
> Turkey, since the islands would generate 5000sq nm of EEZ for
Greece. If
> the Megisti islands were not given full weight, this would shift
grtr
> westwards, potentially converting cygrtr+cyeggr to cyegtr+eggrtr.
>
> JPKPKRRU
> The Liancourt Rocks are disputed by South Korea and Japan. The
northern
> end of the disputed area adjoins the convergence of kpru&kpkr. So
if
> South Korea owns the rocks, it has a border with Russia, and the
> quadriarea decomposes into kpkrru+jpkrru. If Japan owns the rocks
it has
> a border with North Korea, giving jpkpkr+jpkpru.
>
> COCRNIPA
> Nicaragua and Colombia dispute ownership of the San Andres y
Providencia
> archipelago in the Caribbean. So at its southern end coni may fall
west
> or east of the line crpa. If Colombia owns the islands, it will
have a
> border with Costa Rica, and the tripoints are cocrpa+cocrni. If
> Nicaragua owns the islands, this changes to conipa+crnipa.
>
> (CO)GBHNJM(NI)
> At the northern end of the disputed coni line, Honduras has become
> involved in the dispute by agreeing a border with Colombia, cutting
> across the area Nicaragua claims. In this agreement, Colombia has
not
> taken full equidistance from the Seranilla Bank. If this southerly
cohn
> line stands, it allows Honduras an equidistance border with
Jamaica,