Subject: Re: German Exclave in the Vatican
Date: Feb 28, 2002 @ 20:00
Author: marcelmiquel@navegalia.com (<marcelmiquel@...>)

Peter S. wrote:
>Now this is brilliant! Some remarks:
>It looks like when the Pope Paul VI hall was built, the part on
>Italian soil wasn't just transfered to Vatican City, but made
>extraterritorial! Very interesting, because it is adjacent to the
>Vatican.

I agree: it's a great site! Thanks Mats. For the first time we can see
the original vatican map. I hope soon we'll have a map of the
extraterritorial bits.

After reading this site and other informations, I think that
Sant'Offizio was an extraterritorial zone contiguous to the vatican
state since the Lateran treaty of 1929, so when the Papal Hall was
built in 1972, it was built part into Vatican territorial land and part
into extraterritorial land, so there was no land tranfer: simply it's a
building divided by the border, as you can see on another map in the
same site:

http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/curiosita/aula_paolo_vi.gif

>On the 1929 map, I wonder what the light gray (St. Peter's sq. and a
>part just outside the walls, near the railway station) means.

At the bottom of the map: "Piazzale ( little square ) for the railway
station use in Italian territory".

Marcel

Dale un toque personal a tu móvil con los logos más divertidos en:
http://www.vizzavi.es/Logos