Subject: Re: German Exclave in the Vatican
Date: Feb 26, 2002 @ 19:29
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "gerardkeating" <gerard@o...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., <marcelmiquel@n...> wrote:
>
> > I've found the text of the Lateran treaty on the net. It
clarifies
> > status of the extraterritorial possessions.The adress is:
> >
> > http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/treaty.htm
> >

> From a reading of this text, Is the "Papal Palace of Castel
Gandolfo"
> and enclave of the Vatican City State ???

The key articles are #3, #13-16.

Article 3 indicates that "Italy recognizes the full ownership,
exclusive dominion, and sovereign authority and jurisdiction of the
Holy See over the Vatican". Key words here are sovereign authority.
This creates the Vatican City State.

Article #13 and #14 reconginize/give ownership of several buildings
including Castel Gandolfo. Key wording here ownership and the lack of
the words sovereign authority.

Article #15 gives extraterritorial to certin buildings. What rights
extraterritorial has is dictated by international law.

Article #16 exempts the sites from taxation. The fact that a
sovereign authority owns land does not exempted it from taxes unless
agreed to like this. It also exempts the sites from all Italian
juristiction.

This is where the debate can occur, I see that soverignty has not
been given to the Holy See over these sites but that Italy has given
all rights to them to the Holy See and has no recorse on the matter
unless the Holy See says so. Which means that the sites are sovereign
parts of the Holy See in all but name. So one could call them
enclaves or on could not. As soverignty has not been given (even
though everything else has been given) I would not call them
enclaves, but that is my opinon.

-Andrew