Subject: Re: Campione d'Italia borderwalk
Date: Feb 25, 2002 @ 20:13
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...> wrote:
> I am also interested in Tintin and thus like the
> picture. The Tintin books involve lots of border
> crossings and maps are quite important in the books
> and show up in a few stories.
> Is there anybody else who looks at the maps in a story
> (Treasure Island, The Hobbit), comics (Tintin,
> Asterix) or movies? Do you wonder whether it is a
> fake or real map? Has anybody seen a website for
> fantastic maps? And by the way, does anybody know if
> the map in the International Settlement in Tintin
> story "Blue Lotus" is correctly drawn or not?
> Arif

With the story "The Blue Lotus", Herge began to write his stories
with emphisis on details. For example the advertising shown in the
background in the "The Blue Lotus" is correct Chineses. In later
stories he has correct Arabic and Bali swearing. So I would assume
the map is correct but may be simplified as the audience for the book
is children.

-Andrew

PS I took some pictures of Tintin stuff in Brussles see
http://www.andrewpatton.com/tintin.shtml