Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] German Exclave in the Vatican
Date: Feb 25, 2002 @ 14:15
Author: Anton Florian Zeilinger ("Anton Florian Zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Hello,

a few years ago I visited the Camposanto Teutonico and attended mass there.
Everything there is "German", i.e. signs, missals, etc.
It is however not the seat of the German ambassador to the Holy See, but
belongs to some kind of German foundation, whose head interestingly enough
is the Austrian president. As far as I remember it is cared for by the
Teutonic Order, one of the last chivalric orders of the Catholic Church,
similar to the Order of Malta.

Its seat is in Vienna, they have a homepage, see

http://www.dtorden.or.at/

I found an article in German about the cemetary, where it says that since
the Lateran treaty, the status of this small piece of land is
"extraterritorial", "not part of the Vatican" and "similar to an embassy".
Apparently, during the second world war Jews and enemies of the Mussolini
regime were able to stay there unharmed due to this special status.

The page I found has several interesting articles about other "national"
cemetaries in foreign countries, see:

http://www.ohlsdorf-online.de/ohl-72/ohl-72.html#campo

By the way, some countries have special ambassadors accredited to the Holy
See, separate from the regular embassy to Italy. An example is Austria,
where the ambassador is accredited to the Holy See, the Order of Malta and
San Marino, see:

http://www.bmaa.gv.at/botschaften/mission-info/bmaaMission.cgi?mode=oeinausland&command=content&country=Heiliger
Stuhl

Hope I could help,