Subject: Re: I'll have some crow with this humble pie, please
Date: Feb 24, 2002 @ 15:13
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

Dear Peter,

> A question about this ever-wandering island: does baseline and
> maritime boundaries (like the EEZ one) wander with it?

The normal baseline for measuring the breadth of the territorial sea and
other maritime zones is the low water line along the coast as marked on
large-scale charts offically recognised by the coastal State. So
technically the baseline does not change as the coastline shifts, but it
does change when those shifts are recorded on officially recognised
charts. Such changes will probably have an impact on the location of the
outer limits of the territorial sea and possibly the EEZ as well, but
agreed maritime boundaries remain fixed until the states involved agree
to change them regardless of what happens to the coastlines between
which they are drawn.

Grant: although I edit Jane's Exclusive Economic Zones, I don't own the
copyright, so I can't officially give you permission to post scans of
maps from the books. However, I won't draw it to Jane's attention if you
do....

m a r t i n