Subject: Re: Border conflict solved
Date: Feb 20, 2002 @ 18:09
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

> What is, by the way, the exact legal status of embassies? Do
embassy
> premises entirely fall under the jurisdiction of the other
country? We
> surely don't consider them enclaves, or do we? Are embassies (the
entire
> plot) off bounds to host country's police agencies? I have been
told by
> someone that this is merely a de facto situation or policy, which
> doesn't have any legal basis. Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> -Pepijn

Embassies are jurisctical enclaves that are goverend by the Treaty of
Vienna and agreements between the host county & the guest county.
These agreements dictate the size of the embassy, where it is
located, and limits the size if the staff.

Here in the US the embassy must comply with US fire codes but
everything else about the building is upto the guest country. A few
years ago Italy built a new embassy in Washington DC. The building
was built using the metric system and the embassy allows smoking
inside the building. Neither of these would be possible in any other
office building in Washington.

Also in the past few years several embassies had fires. The DC Fire
department went in (with out formal permission IIRC) and put out the
fires without any problem.

Another interesting thing happened when NATO bombed Serbia. The US
expelled the Serbian Embassy staff from the Washington Embassy (The
staff went to the UN Mission in New York City) and turned the embassy
over to Sweeden for safe keeping. Before the turn over the US Secret
Service and Diplomatic Police entered the Serbian Embassy to verify
that no one was there and that there was no fire hazards but could
not examine any documents or anything else in the embassy. The task
was carefully monitord and recored to show that the US was not spying.

-Andrew