Subject: SV: [BoundaryPoint] 43-24.jpg
Date: Feb 16, 2002 @ 23:05
Author: Christian Berghänel (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Bergh=E4nel?= <christian.berghanel@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

I forwarded the question to "Flags of the World mailing list" and got the following answer:

Well, the yellow one is the Buddhist flag Thong Dhammacak, mentioned
on FOTW:

"Thai Buddhism Flag

Dharma Wheel Flag or Thong Dhammacak

In Thailand there were often two flags used in parades and other
celebrations. The Thai National Flag was used everywhere
(...). The other flag was saffron coloured with a red wheel similar to
the wheel on the Indian flag except much larger. It was
explained to me that it symbolized Buddhism, the national religion; or
the Chakri (Royal) family; or loyalty to the King. Given
the colour of the field I would bet on the Buddhism theme. My wife
claims that she never saw it although there is one hanging in
her mother's sitting room.

Phil Abbey, 17 September 1998

The flag Phil Abbey mentioned is Thong Dhammacak (Dharma Wheel Flag) -
yellow flag with a red Dhammacak at the
center. This the flag for Thai Buddhism.

Wisarut Bholsithi, 29 October 1999

> Jesper"

The third seems to be again the national flag.

J. Patrick Fischer
After the answer I found it on the FOTW site:
http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/th.html#bud
Christian Berghänel
Sweden

christian.berghanel@...