Subject: Re: GePl Boundary at Frankfurt/O and Slubice
Date: Feb 13, 2002 @ 09:00
Author: strataflorida ("strataflorida" <dbirch@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@g...> wrote:

> Last week I paid a short visit to Berlin. Not liking travelling by
> coach, I took the train there, as usual. However, this was the
first
> day-time passing of this particular border between the twin towns
of
> Frankfurt an der Oder (Germany) and S³ubice (Poland), which gave me
> the opportunity to scan the area for border markers.

I made this border crossing by train back in 1991. I clearly remember
that on the Polish side of the bridge the German kilometre posts by
the track continued for a short distance and there was a German sign
saying something like "Oderbrücke Grenze", after which the kilometre
posts became Polish ones. Presumably this just marks a boundary
between the German and Polish railways (DB/PKP) as I assume the
German railways are responsible for the whole maintenance of the
bridge? But is the small parcel of land on the Polish side of the
bridge which seems to belong to the German railways actually
sovereign German land?

David Birch